If you have Win7 or 8 (or Vista), consider the following:
1) PC name must be in English and ïn one word"- requires reboot after changing.
2) The same for Windows user name. If not - create new Win user with EN name and reboot PC for this user when install Postgres. And it must have admin rights. After installation you can delete this new user.
3) Secondary logon service must be set to Äutostart".
This is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services.
4) UAC = OFF ( How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7 « My Digital Life )
5) Disable firewall and antivirus when installing Postgres and HM. Or uninstall them at all.
6) All installations must run äs admin"(by right-click on file). And do them as first thing after PC reboot.
7) If you want to change install path for Postgres (or to set non-default folder for database cluster) - download "standalone"installation file from Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB
8) If your Windows is not in English - you have to install Postgres not in default folder in Program_Files. Create new (example: c:\postgresql) first and select it when install.
9) Install Postgres and HM separarelly, one after one. As admin. If HM (when runs for the 1st time) says "no database"- simply create it via DBControlpanel.
10) If Postgres install fails - after uninstalling don't forget to kill windows user named "postgres":
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator
In the window that appears please type the following and press enter:
net user postgres /del
exactly as shown. You should get a confirmation if it was successful.
11) Run all pokerclients äs admin"too.
If you are using Mcafee, Norton, Comodo or AVG for security, they have been causing a lot of issues with postgres lately. We recommend using a different program, such as Microsoft's firewall and Microsoft Security Essential. If you do feel that you need Comodo or AVG, uninstall first, install postgres, then reinstall after it is working. See this guide for Windows Firewall:
Download from http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload#windows - do not use 9.1, 9.2 or 9.3.
Right click the setup file, click properties. Click the unblock button at the bottom.
Empty the c:\temp and/or c:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp folders.
If there is still an issue, we need to know the error - it is in the temp folder - bitrockinstaller.txt file.